Sometimes you need something different and a red velvet crinkle cookie hits the spot. If you love the cupcake, give the cookie a try. It’s even easier to make when you start from a cake mix!
Using red velvet cake mix is a great way to start these cookies because there’s fewer steps involved and don’t have to have all the ingredients on hand. That’s especially true with red velvet given the amount of food coloring in there.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
The basic mix requires four ingredients to bake about 24 cookies.
1 box of Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
Powered Sugar (3 to 4 tablespoons should be enough)
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Whisk together the eggs and oil
- Add the wet mixture to the cake mix and stir until dough forms. Note: this will probably be a fairly stiff dough so use a large sturdy bowl.
- Use two tablespoons or a cookie scoop to create 1-inch balls of dough. If it’s too sticky or difficult to manage, chill the dough for 30 minutes before baking.
- Roll each cookie dough ball in powdered sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Tip: line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat for easy cookie release and cleanup.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until set.
- Remove from oven and wait for about 5 minutes before removing the cookings to a cooling rack. The cookies may be a little puffy coming out of the oven and then will collapse while cooling.
Be creative and come up with variations
- Add in a cut of white chocolate chips or candies to create your own version of this cookie. You could do a mix of mix-ins (!!!), but make sure you keep to a cup total otherwise you’ll have more add-ins than dough to hold your cookies together.