That moment where you have a craving for a homemade chocolate cookie and do not want the hassle of measuring. Using chocolate cake mix as a starting point for your cookies saves time and effort.
Using chocolate cake mix as a starting point saves you steps as well as means you need to have fewer ingredients on hand. They can also be budget friendly if you purchase boxes of cake mix on sale.
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
The basic mix requires three (or four ingredients) to bake about 24 cookies.
1 box of chocolate cake mix (such as Devil’s Food)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp Vanilla extract (if you have it)
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Whisk together the 2 eggs, oil, and vanilla extract (if using).
- Add the wet mixture with cake mix and stir until dough forms. Note: this will probably be a fairly stiff dough so use a large sturdy bowl.
- Use two tablespoons or a cookie scoop to create 1-inch balls of dough. If it’s too sticky or difficult to manage, chill the dough for 30 minutes before baking.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Tip: line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat for easy cookie release and cleanup.
- Bake 9-10 minutes, until set.
- Remove from oven and wait for about 5 minutes before removing the cookings to a cooling rack. The cookies may be a little puffy coming out of the oven and then will collapse while cooling.
Be creative and come up with variations
- For Crinkle cookies, roll each ball in powdered sugar before putting on the cookie sheet to bake. You will need about 3 or 4 tablespoons of powered sugar for this.
- Create a signature cooking by stirring in a cup of baking chips, nuts or other dried fruit. Keep it to about a cup total otherwise you’ll have more add=ins than dough to hold your cookies together.